Want to Travel From the Comfort of Your Sofa? Here are Some of Our Favorite EnoTourism-Experiences.
Drinking a glass of wine is one of the greatest pleasures in life.Either if it is in a restaurant, in the comfort of your home while watching your favorite TV Show or in the place where the bottle was born: directly in the winery.
This past year was practically impossible for us to continue traveling to new wine regions and new wineries. But what the pandemic did not take away from us was being able to continue drinking fine wine.
Today we are going to travel the whole world from the comfort of your sofa.
We will go from North to South, Europe to America, passing through Australia and New Zealand, discovering the best wineries dedicated to enotourism according to theWorld’s Best Vineyards.
The World's Best Vineyards is an annual competition organized by the magazine and digital media company, William Reed Business Media. The objective is to reward the wineries that offer the best wine tourism experiences around the world. As the jury, more than 500 wine experts participate.
Keep reading, this list will inspire you when we can travel again!
- Zuccardi Wines: This winery located in the famous Uco Valley in Mendoza Argentina, is the first in the world and the best winery in all of South America. The winery was opened in 2016 and is a tribute to the Andes Mountains.
- Bodega Garzón: Continuing in South America. This winery located in Uruguay was established in 2007 and they have become one of the main references of the Tannat grape. Besides being experts in wine, they are experts in wine tourism and gastronomy. Acclaimed chef Francis Mallman is the winemaker's culinary director.
- Domäne Wachau: Located in the Wachau Valley in Austria, UNESCO declared this region as a World Cultural Heritage. Specialized in Riesling and in a not so common white variety: Grüner Vetliner. Try: 2016 Domane Wachau Riesling Federspiel Bruck Vineyard.
- Montes: South America keeps crushing it. On this occasion we will go to Chile, more specifically to the Apalta Valley. A visionary dream that began in 1987 and is now around Chile and even Argentina.
- Robert Mondavi Winery: The best in North America. Located in Oakville, Napa Valley. Since the founding of Robert Mondavi in 1966, this winery, owned by famous winemaker Robert Mondavi, has become one of the best references in the US worldwide. Wine to try from Robert Mondavi: 2005 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Marqués de Riscal: Let's go to Spain, more specifically to Elciego, Álava. One of the oldest wineries in La Rioja founded in 1858. With an incredible winery created by the architect Frank Gehry that is worth visiting and admiring. Some of the best wines from this winery are: 2015 Marqués de Riscal Finca Torrea Rioja and 2000 Marqués de Riscal Gran Reserva Rioja
- Château Smith Haut Lafitte: Located in one of the most important wine regions in the world: Bordeaux. With an organic viticulture and a different and innovative winemaking style. Try: 2015 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte Pessac Léognan
- Quinta do Crasto: Portugal could not be left behind. This winery is located in the north of Portugal in the Douro Valley. The history of Quinta do Crasto dates back to 1615 and has excellent conditions for the production of wine and olive oil. Try this wine: 2010 Quinta do Crasto Tinta Roriz Douro
- Antinori nel Chianti Classico: Tuscany automatically makes us think of beautiful landscapes, interesting culture and great wines. Antinori nel Chianti Classico is a winery located in this spectacular region with an impeccable winery constructed by Archea Associati and Hydea Engineering. The main grape grown here is the Sangiovese for the production of Chianti Classico.
- Viña Vik: Let’s go back to South America to a winery located in Chile in the Millahue Valley Viña Vik has a spectacular wine tourism project. A must see for all wine lovers.
- Catena Zapata: This winery was founded in 1902, is located in Lujan de Cuyo in Mendoza Argentina. Nicolas Catena is without a doubt one of the best promoters of Argentinian wine all around the world. Bodega Catena Zapata set new standards for Argentine wine. Some great wines to try from Catena Zapata: 2017 Catena Alta Chardonnay Uco Valley, 2018 Aleanna El Enemigo Chardonnay Mendoza, 2015 Bodegas Catena Zapata Argentino Malbec.
- Schloss Johannisburg: Located in Germany, this winery is known as "One of the best Riesling Terroirs in the world" according to Robert Parker. In fact, this winery produced the world's first Riesling! If you are a Riesling-lover, this is a destination you have to visit (and a wine you have to try!)
- Rippon: Rippon is considered the best in all Australasia, located in Central Otago, New Zealand. In 1975 the Rolfe Mills family began the wine adventure with the first Vitis Vinifera plantations in their lands.
- Delaire Graff Estate: Considered the best winery in the entire African continent and the "highest climber" of the entire list. Delaire Graff is located in South Africa and it is pure elegance and class. With high-level wines and a luxurious architecture, the jeweler Laurence Graff managed to transform this winery into a worthy piece of art.
- Weingut Dr. Loosen: Located in the Mosel region in Germany. Founded by Ernie Loosen one of the most famous Riesling producers in the world. This wine has a great variety of styles for any wine lover, from sweet Botrytis wines to world-renowned dry wines.
- Ridge Vineyards, Monte Bello: The great surprise! New to the list and ranked 16th out of 50. Located in the USA in MonteBello, in the extreme north of the Santa Cruz mountains, it is a place that will make you fall in love from the moment you arrive. Some wines that you have to drink are: 2017 Ridge Vineyards Three Valleys Red Blend, 2016 Ridge Vineyards Pagani Ranch Zinfandel Sonoma Valley
- Craggy Range: Located in one of the best regions in New Zealand: Hawke’s Bay. This Premium winery is recognized thanks to its quality of wines as well as its spectacular wine tourism project.
- Gonzalez Byass: The house of the best known Jerez in the world, Tio Pepe. In addition to producing fine wines, amontillados, palo cortado, vermouths and more exceptional wines. It is also a charming place located in the heart of Jerez de la Frontera.
- Château Pichon Baron: This world renowned Château located on the Left bank of Bordeaux, in Pauillac within the Médoc area. Château Pichon Baron dates back to the 17th century but it was in 1851 that the construction of its spectacular and iconic castle began. Some wines you have to try are 2015 Château Pichon Baron Longueville Pauillac and 2018 Les Griffons de Pichon Baron Pauillac.
- Opus One Winery: What happens when you combine the renowned Château Mouton Rotschild’s owner with acclaimed Napa Valley vintner Robert Mondavi? The answer is Opus One. One of the most recognized wineries in the entire US and the world for the quality of its wine and its exceptional winery. Wines you have to try: 2016 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Oakville Napa Valley, 2014 Opus One Napa Valley
For now, we will have to continue traveling to these beautiful wine regions through our senses by tasting a glass of wine, but soon we will be able to make that dream trip and taste the wine from its place of production. Head to our website to take a sip around the world!
Big Hammer Wines
The wine experts at Big Hammer Wines taste thousands of wines every year from around the globe, looking for quality and value. This special offer reflects the passion we have for our clients.