What’s our Real Wine Club, and why is it important to us?
Big Hammer Wine’s Real Wine Club is a selection of some of our favorite wines that we choose for you that focuses on sustainable and natural winemakers. These wines come from producers who value innovation and the future. With their help, we have carefully curated each case—or half case, if you prefer—with wines that meet our strict standards.
We understand you’re inundated with messages about wines with all sorts of sustainable and better-for-you claims. We also know there’s plenty of confusing information about organic, natural, biodynamic, and “clean” wines. That’s why we take the time to add educational, sustainable wine articles on the BHW website. Think of the Real Wine Club as another type of education, one for your palate.
What Qualifies a Wine for Big Hammer Wine’s Real Wine Club?
Before we will consider a bottle for this wine club, it needs to meet our strict standards.
- Negligible Sugars - In essence, this club is focused on dry wines—not just wines that pass as dry but have truly been fermented dry, resulting in minimal residual sugar.
- Low Sulfites (< 75ppm) - All wine will have sulfites as a result of fermentation, but these wines will have only a small amount—if any at all—added to the wine.
- Low Alcohol(< 13.5%) - The producers that we choose for this club focus on producing wine that showcases varietal characteristics and a sense of place, lower alcohol is a pleasant side effect of that.
- No Additives - Specifically no coloring, no added sugars, no commercial yeasts, no acid (citric acid) or buffers (calcium carbonate), and no clarifying agents.
- Hand harvested - Humans have a more delicate approach to harvesting than machines, bringing in whole fruit provides better control over the winemaking process.
- Indigenous Yeast - By fermenting the juice with only the yeasts present on the grape skins or captured from the air in the vineyard or cellar, winemakers are again adding to the sense of place and not adding in any outside ingredients
- Small, Family Productions - Supporting small family farms is important to BHW’s overall mission. This wine club guarantees that you will be enjoying wines from small producers.
- Mouth Wateringly Delicious - We taste every wine before including it in the club box to guarantee that it meets our quality standards.
- Naturally or Biodynamically Farmed - The exclusion of chemical fertilizers and pesticides is important for the sustainability of a farm.
To learn more about these standards you can read our blog here.
The Real Wine Club is full of wines that we would drink daily, wines that have less of an environmental impact on the vineyards they’re produced from, and no chemicals added in the winemaking process. Our passion for this type of wine is the main reason for this club, and we want to share our passion for this wine with you.
The flexible club allows you to choose between all reds or a mix of reds and whites. You can choose 6 or 12 bottles, and decide if you want delivery monthly or every two months. And, our Real Wine Club has free shipping.
Big Hammer Wines
The wine experts at Big Hammer Wines taste thousands of wines every year from around the globe, looking for quality and value. This special offer reflects the passion we have for our clients.