About the Wine
Rudi Pichler is among the absolute best producers in all of Austria. He was awarded Falstaff’s Vintner of the Year in 2010. His winery is producing wines of precision, power, and longevity.
The cellar is based in the village of Wösendorf where generations of Pichler's have tended vines since 1731. Rudolph Pichler III took over the winery in 1997 and has since expanded the vineyards and constructed a modern cellar in 2004. While the winery is modern and equipped with state-of-the-art technology, Rudy takes a more traditional and simpler approach to winemaking. He says “The most important thing is that the grapes have to be in balance. When the wine is in balance, you don’t have to make it. You’re not a winemaker just a caretaker. I just take care of them.”
Grüner Veltliner is the signature grape of Austria, and Rudi is without a doubt the Grüner Veltliner king. This grape and Riesling make up 95% of the production with the remaining 5% shared between Weißburgunder and Roter Veltliner.
Rudi has passed his expertise and wisdom to his son, Rudi junior, who works hand in hand with Rudi to create these white wines that Falstaff calls “precise and full of character.”
Tasting Notes: 100% Grüner Veltliner. This superb white wine shows savory aromas, spicy flavors, and good acidity. Grüner Veltliner Smaragd from the Wachau is a full-bodied wine and is rich in style with notes of stone fruit, lemon. This wine pairs beautifully with mildly spiced Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese flavors.
***Free Shipping on 6 or More Bottles of This Wine***