Weston Eidson's Silver Ghost is an approachable Napa Valley Cabernet that is built for aging but doesn’t require it. The fruit comes exclusively from highly regarded sites.
Especially when it comes to Napa Cabernet, it’s hard to find wines that offer both pedigree and value. Winemaker Weston Eidson has accomplished that rare feat with his Silver Ghost Napa Cabernet a wine that demonstrates inside and out his devotion to quality, great taste, and entrepreneurial talent. Perhaps it runs in the family: with the name “Silver Ghost”, Weston pays tribute to his great grandfather, British Lord John Montagu, who helped to launch the 1909 Silver Ghost Rolls Royce.
Weston’s twist on this family history? While not everyone can drive a Rolls, Weston's Silver Ghost Cab is accessibly priced.
Weston grew up around fine wine; his family valued its presence in get-togethers and celebrations. While in the UK attending graduate school in International Political Economy, he traveled the globe visiting as many wine regions as he could from Chile and South Africa to Bordeaux and the Veneto. A pivotal moment came during his visit to the famous Trimbach Estate in Alsace with Jean Trimbach himself. While walking its vineyards near the ancient village of Ribeauvillé, Eidson was struck by how wine lies at the intersection of tradition and innovation as well as imagination and restraint. That moment proved indelible. Weston's travels soon took him to Napa and as they say, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. During his trip, he met Jason Moore of Modus Operandi and was invited to work the 2012 harvest under Jason’s guidance. Weston proved a natural, quickly becoming adept at identifying ideal ripeness at harvest, tasting nuances in a wine's progression of fermentation levels, and distinguishing the implications of different aging regimens. He also gained conviction about making wine with minimal intervention: allow the fruit to make beautiful wine, naturally reflecting distinctive terroir. Weston soon developed relationships with veterans of Napa and Sonoma, including the Bacigalupi's and Steve Matthiasson.
With access to some of Napa's most esteemed talent and the best vineyards, he embarked on his vision to produce Silver Ghost. With quality and balance as his goal, Weston sources fruit for Silver Ghost from some of the finest vineyards in Napa, combining lush valley floor fruit with high elevation grapes that lend structure to the wine.
In the winery, Weston ferments 25% of the fruit in the barrel to soften tannins a practice common among higher-priced Cabernets such as those from Colgin, Harlan, and Calluna and the other 75% in stainless steel to retain the purity of fruit. The wine is then aged 24 months in French Oak, 50% of which is new another quality measure that often comes in wines with a higher price tag.
***FREE Shipping on 6 Bottles or more of this Wine***
bottles away from free shipping.